Friday, May 13, 2011

My Biggest Supporter

This weeks D-Blog topic for May 11th was, "Your Biggest Supporter," is actually quite fitting since I wanted to write about my mom.  I'll also be translating this post in Spanish since I know it would mean a lot to my mom.  (My Spanish writing still needs improvement but im getting there)

There are truly not enough words or phrases to describe how amazing I think my mom is.  I think if I am half the person she is, then I consider myself blessed.

I asked my mom about the day I was diagnosed with diabetes and how it all took place.   She explained that she noticed I was always really tired, woke up with headaches and had dark shadows under my eyes.  She thought to herself "something is wrong with my child, I can feel it." She remembers one Halloween that I had eaten some candy and that the next day I got really sick, so that just added to the list of things that she noticed was wrong with me.  She took me to the doctor, had all the bloodwork done but the doctor said I was fine. She insisted "are you sure its not anemia or something, somethings wrong with her," but he just blew her off.  My mother followed her instincts and went for a second opinion, even my dad sided with the doctor and said that there was nothing wrong with me, that "you worry too much."

The day my mother took me to see another doctor, she had a dream that she had this big black scorpion on her back, that she couldnt remove it for the life of her, she said it was indication of the cross she was about to bear.

So the bloodwork came back and the doctor asked my mom to take me to the hospital to have some more tests done just to be sure.  Sure enough, I was diagnosed with diabetes, my sugar was about 680.

The endocronoligst that saw me at the hospital was the director of his department, he was leaving for El Salvador that day so he explained to my mom that I was not to leave the hospital until he returned.  My mother stayed by my bedside in the hopsital for 21 days.  This amazing woman would not leave my side.  I cant even imagine how tired she must of been, dealing with the nurses coming in and out of my room every couple of hours to test my sugars, she was sleeping on a chair, since they didnt have  a bed for her.  She did everything she could to make sure I was being taken care of.

As I got older, I was able to learn to take my own shots and do things for myself, this is where I completely lost control of my diabetes since I did not care at all, but every single night for a good 15 years my mom would ask "did you take your shot" I always said yes.

The suffering I put my mom through is unbelieveble, but she always managed to keep a postive attitude.  My mother has a very interesting background and the things she has been through would amaze you, for her to be as level-headed and sane as she is, is beyond me.  I dont know where I would be if I didnt have her support, I love her more than I could ever put into words.  The faith and strength I have for certain situations all come from my mom.  The thought of not having my mom around always brings me to tears.

If it weren't for my mothers persistance on having me checked out, I would not be here today.


The D-OC (Diabetes Online Community) is now a huge part of my life and I thank you all for your wonderful support, so dont you worry, a big thank you post will be coming your way shortly. I just had to express how much my mother means to me, Id give an arm, a leg, an eye, a heart for this woman without hestiation. Be sure to thank anyone who supports you and helps you cope, they deserve it for all the emotional abuse we put them through.

I love you Mom.


No hay realmente bastantes palabras o frases para describir cuanto yo pienso de mi mamá. Pienso si soy la mitad de la persona que ella es, que me considero bendecida.

Le pregunté a mi mamá sobre el día que fui diagnosticado con la Diabetes y como esto ocurrió. Ella explicó que ella notó que yo siempre estaba cansada, me desperté con dolores de cabeza y tenía sombras oscuras bajo mis ojos. Ella pensó "algo tiene mi niña, puedo sentirlo." Ella recuerda un dia de los muertos que yo había comido algún caramelo y que al día siguiente me estaba realmente enferma, de modo que sólo añadido a la lista de cosas que ella notó que estaba mal conmigo. Ella me llevo al doctor, tenía todo los examanes de sangre hecho pero el doctor dijo que estuve bien.  Ella insistió "esta usted seguro, no es anemia o algo?" pero él solo dijo que no. Mi madre siguió sus instintos y fue para una segunda opinión, hasta mi papá penso como el medico y dijo que no había nada incorrecto conmigo, que "usted se preocupa demasiado."
El día que mi madre me llevo para ver a otro doctor, ella tenía un sueño que ella tenía a un Escorpión negro grande en su espalda, que ella que no podia quitarse, ella dijo que esto era la indicación de la cruz que ella iba a cargar. Entonces los resultados de mi examen de sangre volvió y el doctor pidió a mi mamá que me llevara al hospital para tener algunas pruebas más hechas sólo para estar seguro. Bastante seguro, fui diagnosticado con la Diabetes, mi azúcar era aproximadamente 680. El doctor que me vio en el hospital era el director de su departamento, él se iba para El Salvador ese día entonces él explicó a mi mamá que yo no debía irme del hospital hasta que él volviera. Mi madre se quedó por mi lado de la cama en el hopsital durante 21 días. La mujer asombrosa no dejaría mi lado. Ni quiero imaginanarme que cansada ella debio de estar, con las enfermeras entrarando y saliendo de mi cuarto cada poco de horas para tomar mis azúcares, ella dormía en una silla, ya que ellos no tienen una cama para ella. Ella hizo todo que ella podría para asegurarse que yo estaba muy cuidada.
Cuando me hice más viejo, yo era capaz de aprender a tomar mis propios tiros y hacer cosas para mí, este es donde completamente perdí el control de mi diabetes ya que no me preocupé en absoluto, pero cada noche durante unos 15 años buenos mi mamá preguntaría "hizo usted toma su tiro" yo siempre decía sí. El sufrimiento por el que puse a mi mamá es unbelieveble, pero ella siempre lograba guardar una cabeza de postive. Mi madre tiene un fondo muy interesante y las cosas por las que ella ha sido le asombraría, para ella para ser como el nivel encabezado y sano como ella es, es beyone mí. Yo que dont conocen donde yo sería si didnt tengo su apoyo, la amo más que yo podría poner alguna vez en palabras. La fe y fuerza que tengo para ciertas situaciones todos vienen de mi mamá.
EL DOC (Diabetes Comunidad en Línea) es ahora una parte enorme de mi vida y le agradezco todos por su maravilloso apoyo, no se preocupa, su poste de gracias grande esta en camino dentro de poco. Sólo tenia que expresar cuánto amo a mi mamá,  quiere decir, yo daria un brazo, una pierna, un ojo, un corazón para esta mujer sin pensarlo dos veces. Le amo Mamá.

1 comment:

  1. this is beautiful, elisa! i feel the same way about my mom! i wouldn't be here if it wasn't for her. absolutely beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete